Friday, September 17, 2010

Ummm..... Birthday and stuff......

So in about 31 hours it will officially be my fourteenth birthday. I am sooooo excited. My family plus my friend Allie (click her name to go to her blog) are going to an Astro's game. They are having a fait and family night thinggy where a band comes and plays after the game. This Faith and Family Night/ Day, MercyMe is playing. I am so pumped because MercyMe is one of my favorite bands. My brother came down from college this weekend and so did one of my best friends. I can't wait to see her.  This weekend is going to be epic.

Now on to other stuff. I had to write a story for language arts and I loved it. read it and tell me what you think. I actually wrote way more than I was supposed to but oh well! Here it is. Its called A Life for a Life. I am very proud of this story. Mostly because I spent like four strait hours writing, editing, and more editing this.


It was like a scene out of a movie. Everything was in slow motion and muted. I had a blank face trying to hold back any and all emotions. I looked to my right and watched my husband scramble out of the car and head toward the accident. There was a woman, maybe 25, lying on the ground with minimal signs of life showing. The tiny thread of life in her was begging to get out. There was a man running toward the mangled car. And two children, maybe three years old, crying out for their father or mother or someone to comfort them. My husband ran to the woman screaming with tears streaking down his face. She was his sister, the man’s wife, the children’s mother, my sister in-law, and my best friend.                                  
The day started off normal. The annoying buzz of my alarm clock woke both Scott and I at promptly six thirty in the morning. Scott, the love of my life, and I had been married for exactly eight years on that day. Whenever there is a birthday, anniversary, or any excuse to get the family together, we do. Everyone on Scott’s side of the family comes to celebrate the merry occasions. That means the twins, Allison and Erik, the big brother Scott, and their baby sister Theresa are all under one roof. Of course, husbands and wives come also and so do a few lifelong friends too. That would be Megan, Erik’s wife, John, Allison’s husband, and Greg, Theresa’s boy friend. Also Seth and Lauren, friends of the family for ages, tag along too. We always met for lunch at the most amazing restaurant in New York, Bella Amore. Scott and I had a few errands to run, before the “Big Gathering” as they are so proudly called, so on that Saturday morning we headed off at eight. All of the necessary things were taken care of leaving the minute things for the next day. We ran into Allison at the store while she was shopping for a present for us. She said that John and the kids were at home but they were going to meet us at the restaurant. John was her husband of four years and her close friend through her childhood. John, Lauren, Seth, Allison and I were the closest friend throughout our years even though there is a difference of four years between Lauren, the youngest and me, the oldest. When Al (Allison) and Erik were 19 both of their parents died in a triple flip car accident. Al became severely depressed and we all stuck together in that situation and helped her through that.  John and Al had two beautiful, twin girls, Penelope and Alex. We parted from Allison and ran home to freshen up some before our anniversary celebration.
At the restaurant we laughed about old times and planned out next “Big Gathering.” The date was set for September nineteenth. We ate our amazing food, we laughed at out incredibly slow service, we talked about our hum-drum jobs and we shared memories of our old tree house in the woods. At about three o’clock we all left Bella Amore and headed to my house.
Scott and I were driving down the road and chatting about what a grand time we had. “Catherin! Don’t forget to take that exit!” I swerved and barely made the exit. Scott laughed at my mistake. I looked in the rear view mirror and saw a black car swerve too (probably because of me). It looked like Al’s car but I thought she was in front of me so I paid little attention. I looked behind me again and saw the car flip. It flew into the air and I slammed on the breaks. I pulled onto the shoulder and stared behind me at the tumbling car. It rolled onto the grass median and crashed into a tree. A woman was thrown out of the car and looked lifeless. I stared intently at the woman and realized it was Allison. I saw John slam on his brakes and run to the car screaming, “AL! AL! ALLISON!!!” Penelope and Alex were screaming from their car seats for someone to come to them. Scott jumped out of the car and ran toward his sister. I sat there, blank and unwilling to move. At some point a life flight helicopter came for her. I stared at the blades, spinning slowly and silently. 
When she arrived at the hospital, there was a problem. She had holding something glass and when it shattered, a big piece lodged into her stomach. They wanted to wait to remove the shard because they didn’t want to cause more internal bleeding than necessary. The other conflict was that with every passing minute she was growing weaker and weaker. So they decided that they were going to have to take their chances and remove the glass. They gave her anesthetics and rushed her into the O.R. I was frightened out of my mind. Erik, Theresa, and Scott were all pacing up and down the hall. A nurse had come up to give us a pill for our anxiety which helped slightly. About thirty minutes later after she had given us the pill, the room became fuzzy. I heard someone calling my name but when I looked around no one was there. “Catherine! CATHERINE! Come on Catherine! Open your eyes!” I heard Scott’s voice yelling but his voice was distant. My surroundings became clearer and clearer. I could make out a warped face hovering above mine. It was Scott. He was yelling but I could barely hear him. I was hardly conscious and I couldn’t feel anything. I was numb and cold. I managed to cough out a few words, but they were not understandable. My eyes were open and all that was in me yelled to get out. I heard a helicopter in the distance but couldn’t see anything. It seemed as if the world was spinning but I wasn’t. What seemed like ages to me was only seconds in reality. My vision of Allison on the ground was happening, but not to her, to me. I had imagined it all while I was unconscious. Sooner or later I felt someone pick me up. I was lowered onto a gurney and backed into fire truck red helicopter. That was my end. I was alive but not conscious or willing to be.
I woke up some time later with an immense pain in my stomach. I looked around and saw a face grinning back at me. Scott. I managed to ask him what had happened, where I was, and how long had I been there. “You had a triple rollover accident after lunch when we were going back to the house. You are in the hospital and you have been unconscious for three days. You took it pretty hard babe! You are lucky to be alive.” He gave a half hearted smile and I knew it hurt him to see me that way.  I smiled back and stammered,” But weren’t you in the car with me?” He responded with a puzzled look. “Man! That accident really wiped out your memory huh? I was riding with Erik to talk about a business deal between our companies.”
Everything turned out fine and about a month later on September nineteenth, we had out next “Big Gathering” at Bella Amore. This time, it was without any accidents.
















2 comments:

  1. That's a really good story Jessica! How did you come up with that? That's really good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for tellling me what you think! If you are leaving a comment please leave your name... no anonymous comments... Thanks! :)